You have just woken up and, still sleepy, you head for the coffee machine. Heat some milk and, in the meantime, take your breakfast cup. Here you sip your frothy and steaming cappuccino, ready to soak your fragrant homemade biscuits.
The recipe of the day is just this: wholewheat coffee-flavored biscuits, a very quick recipe with no added sugar and perfect for a nutritious and delicious breakfast or snack. But first let's find out more about the protagonist of this recipe: coffee.
Our organism is not indifferent to coffee. First of all for its stimulating effect due to the presence of caffeine. Secondly, due to the extraordinary polyphenol content, substances with remarkable antioxidant power.
Coffee is part of the "nervine" drinks, that is, beverages that act on the central nervous system as stimulants. This is due to their content of methylxanthines such as caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine (tea, cocoa, guarana).
Effects of caffeine
Coffee is a drink that never ceases to surprise researchers with its multiple properties.
- One of the first effects is that of greater focus and concentration thanks to the stimulating effect of the substance.
- Next to this, we find a thermogenic effect. By prolonging the catabolic action of adrenaline or glucagon, energy expenditure increases.
- Coffee also stimulates diuresis through its action on the kidneys. For this reason, caffeine is among the main ingredients of thermogenic supplements.
- Caffeine also has a mild analgesic effect in case of headache, therefore it is useful to accompany the headache tablet with a good coffee.
- Caffeine promotes the digestion process and intestinal motility.
Recipe for wholewheat coffee biscuits
Making these wholewheat coffee biscuits is very simple. These homemade cookies are sugar-free, which is replaced by a pinch of sweetener. In this way, we can avoid the empty calories of sucrose and make our biscuits lighter. This recipe is also rich in fibers thanks to the choice of wholewheat flour, which allows to lower the glycemic index and increase the sense of satiety.
Let's move on to the ingredients to prepare biscuits' shortcrust pastry.
Watch the video with the procedure!
- First, combine the whole wheat flour, cornstarch (cornstarch), salt, sweetener, yeast, instant coffee and soluble barley in a bowl.
- Stir with a spoon to mix all the ingredients well.
- Form a fountain and in the center add the two eggs and the oil.
- Knead the dough with your hands until it forms a stick. You won't have to rest in the refrigerator.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the static oven to 170 degrees.
- Form the biscuits (10-12) with your hands and crush them one by one until they form circles.
- Press the surface with a knife or fork.
- Sprinkle some stevia (optional) and bake in the middle part of the oven for 10 minutes. You can consume them immediately or wait for them to cool and then store them in a container with an airtight lid.
Macros (1 biscuit out of 10)
C 17.8 g; F 8.2 g; P 3.6 g
We have seen how simple it is to make delicious wholemeal coffee biscuits using healthy and high-quality ingredients. These biscuits are sugar-free and low in calories while having an exceptional taste and a deliciously crumbly consistency, excellent for being soaked in a latte!
Follow our "Health recipes" section on Instagram: @iafstore and @lefitbistrot